- Ensuring the rights and interests of children and youth are protected;
- Ensuring the views of children and youth are heard and considered where those views might not otherwise be advanced;
- Ensuring children and youth have access to approved services and that complaints about these services receive appropriate attention;
- Providing information and advice to government, government agencies and communities about the availability, effectiveness, responsiveness and relevance of services to children and youth; and
- Acting as an advocate for the rights and interests of children and youth in general.